God is REAL and he desires a relationship with all of us! These are my lessons learned in 2017, during my first year of seeking an intimate relationship with God.
Lessons learned in 2017 about God, in no particular order:
Share yours in the Comments!
1. Say YES! Last year I made a decision to do Youth with a Mission which is a 5 month Discipleship Training Program, it begins this year in March- 12weeks bible study and 10 weeks overseas. Many times I have gotten the comment that’s great do you feel like its your calling/were you called? Or that’s great God has a strong calling on your life etc. It wasn’t a grand thing, and I don’t want anyone to get discouraged about doing missions or looking into what it would be like to be a missionary. My decision came from a place of really desiring a intimate relationship with God, starting to read my bible and one day I read Matthew 28:19 “Therefore go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father in the name of the Son and in the name of the Holy Spirit.” Then I said Okay and began researching missions, simple. I have no idea what’s to come or what’s going to happen after, this is really the first time in my life I don’t have everything planned out, but I am really excited. I was also reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan which is a must read.
2. Heart Conditions- like envy, jealous, greed, selfish, anger, cheating, addiction etc. and if someone upsets your not fighting flesh against flesh look at yourself, your spirit your walking in, and your heart condition. For me I had to give up Tv, facebook, instagram, YouTube, and snapchat. Not that I think any of these things are bad, but for me I needed a break. I need to work on my heart condition of priorities, controlling thoughts while using social media and seeking God first not the last 5min of the day when I am about to fall asleep after playing on my phone for 5 hours.
3. Serving One Master- For me as a young adult, trying to build my life and be successful living in a world where more is better. This last year was about learning the true value of time and money. Your either serving God or the Devil and I was serving the devil when it came to making money, keeping it to myself, and choosing work over family time in order to make more money. Killing myself for what? To make more money for myself to store up for…one day. I am a fleeting vapor, nothing is mine because it all belongs to God. Seeking God even when I don’t feel like it.
4. The Bible- 2017 is the first time I have picked up a bible and read it, and I am so blown away by all the truth, wisdom, and Gods love poured out on each page. It was also a time of enjoying church for the first time and learning how vital it is for me to attend when it comes to accountability, staying focused on God and not getting blown off track. That being said I also began watching sermons at home at least two times a week which is when I really feel intimate with God. This has helped the most because sometimes in church its hard for me to be in the moment and connect.
5. Live Light- God loves me and wants to know everything. There is no reason to walk around with the weight of the world regrets, shame, guilt, worry, anxieties etc. Sometimes it is hard to let go but God is always there, ready to take the load.
6. Spiritual Warfare is real- 2017 has had its ups and downs of insomnia, sleep paralysis, nightmares, and to many to count almost car wrecks. It has shown me the importance of a Mentor someone to guide you, pray for you, be there to come pray over house and just be a good friend in Faith.
7. God is worthy of everything- 2017 was a learning year, trying everything to try and make myself feel something- worthy, successful, alive. Trying new jobs, school, apartment, dating apps etc. To being embraced by God who calls me daughter, picked me up, turned my life around, gave me purpose and joy. God is worthy!
8. Prayer- Is the most important thing when it comes to seeking and maintaining a relationship with God. This is something I struggled with in the beginning, and you might be in the same boat, my advice would be to start by just being conscious of God throughout the day in your thoughts. Maybe starting off just talking to him all day long, even if its just a few words at a time, like Thank you God. It doesn’t have to be a scheduled time and when it comes to talking to God, sharing your thoughts and feelings there is no wrong way to do it, God loves and wants YOU ALWAYS.
Mirror Mirror on the Wall
Have I Learned Anything at all
Past predicts your future
Things you think become your habits
Unless you let God have it
Mirror Mirror on the wall
I thought you were the only friend, I could count on
But you are flawed
You tell me lies, you don’t see me for what’s on the inside
I have learned to find truth
In my saviors eyes
Mirror mirror on the wall
I have to go there’s people in need
I don’t have time to stand around, just looking at me
With greed, envy, jealousy
There’s so much more than me, me, me
Mirror Mirror on the wall
This is the year, I surrender all
The year GOD gets it all
Reflection of self seeking ways, with only me in mind
This is where I leave you behind
Sacrifice is my meditation word for 2018. The Hebrew word for Sacrifice is Korban which means “coming closer”. It derives from the root word Karev which means to “Draw near” to gain intimacy with God. Thoughts behind this word is God has given me everything and I struggle somedays to give him anything. This year is about giving God my time, heart, thoughts, not only tithe but offering, and being a servant to the kingdom of God.
Whoever wants to become great among you must serve the rest of you like a servant. 44 Whoever wants to become the first among you must serve all of you like a slave. 45 In the same way, the Son of Man did not come to be served. He came to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many people.”
Those things were important to me, but now I think they are worth nothing because of Christ. 8 Not only those things, but I think that all things are worth nothing compared with the greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. Because of him, I have lost all those things, and now I know they are worthless trash. This allows me to have Christ 9 and to belong to him. Now I am right with God, not because I followed the law, but because I believed in Christ. God uses my faith to make me right with him. 10 I want to know Christ and the power that raised him from the dead. I want to share in his
sufferings and become like him in his death. 11 Then I have hope that I myself will be raised from the dead.
For whoever wishes to gain his life will loses it. And whoever loses his life for my-sake, he is the one who will gain it.